Saturday, April 19, 2014

Q is for... Julia Quinn

uestion for you: what's the first romance novel you remember reading?  Mine was from today's author, Julia Quinn.  I picked up a copy of What Happens in London and absolutely loved it, but Serious Readers don't read romance, and so it took several more years before I developed the confidence to stop caring about what other people thought of my reading choices. Once I embraced romance, I never looked back! :)

Julia writes historical romances, and she's written one of my favorite books, The Lost Duke of Wyndham.  If you haven't read it yet, go straight to the library or bookstore and pick up a copy--it's delightful!














How do you feel about historical romance?  Is it one of your favorite genres, or do you prefer something else?

12 comments:

  1. The first romance novel I remember reading must have been a Mills & Boon... though The Promise by Danielle Steele made quite an impression on me (her third book, I think... released in 1978)
    I haven't read much historical romance... but I'm not averse to reading it... the thriller IS my preferred genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I've never read Danielle Steele? I think I'm going to have to fix that this year!

      Delete
  2. eh, I like romance...I don't care!!! I haven't read much historical, not sure why, but I'm not against it. Quinn must now go on my list :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my early teens I read a lot of romance. My fave was The Arrogant Duke by Anne Mather (Harlequin Contemp) and Barbara Cartland historicals. Loved them!! (Probably too old for you to even know about. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Barbara Cartland, but I have heard of her :)

      Delete
  4. I love historical romance. Judith McNaught, Kathleen Woodwiss to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I don't read a ton of romance, but I have nothing against it at all!! I say screw the "serious reader " nonsense, and read what you like. I think I don't read a llot of it because I read tons of genres, but not tons IN one genre, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes total sense to me! Variety is the spice of life, as they say! :)

      Delete
  6. I've opened my eyes to romance since getting to know people who write it, whereas before it's not really something I considered! Not read much historical, but I am interested in all things historical, so I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it, Nick. If you like historical books in general, start with someone like Diana Gabaldon or Joanna Bourne--they do an excellent job with their research, and there is a lot of historical detail in their stories. Not the stereotypical bodice-ripper by any means.

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)