Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z is for... The National Zoo

It's the final A to Z blog post!  I must admit, when I first signed up for this challenge, I wasn't quite sure what I'd gotten myself into.  Post every day, on one theme?  I had no idea what I was going to write about, and managed to procrastinate almost to the point of panic.  With April 1 fast approaching, I decided on Washington, D.C. in a rare flash of brilliance.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the diversity of this great city was a perfect topic, and the fact that my books are set here was a great way to share with readers who may not have visited before.

For the final post, let's explore the National Zoo.  A Smithsonian institution, admission to the Zoo is free of charge.  It's also right across the street from its own Metro station (Woodley Park/Zoo, in case it helps), so it's very easy to find.

Front entrance to the Zoo
I was living in D.C. when the panda cub Tai Shan was born.  There was a lot of excitement in the city concerning his birth, and the press reported on him so much that the joke was he should have been named 'Butterstick' since that was how his newborn size was described.

Tai Shan.  They grow up so fast...
Not only is the Zoo open year round, but there are also special events like Brew at the Zoo, Global Tiger Day, and Boo at the Zoo.  You're sure to find something you'll enjoy!

Thanks for coming on this tour with me!  I hope you learned something, and I hope you enjoyed your virtual trip!  I know I did :)

10 comments:

  1. WTG on completing the A to Z. The Zoological Park is one of must see in DC every time I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it! I just knew you'd include the wonderful Zoo in DC for your Z. Good list, Lara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never go wrong with the Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing the A to Z challenge, Lara.
    That panda cub has the cutest face!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Tai Shan is tooo cute!

    Congrats on finishing the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)