Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for... Chinatown, the Caps, and cherry blossoms

It's day 3 of the A to Z challenge, so that must mean we're exploring the letter C!







First up is the Chinatown neighborhood.  While not nearly as large as San Francisco's Chinatown, the D.C. neighborhood is still a fun place to visit, with some great food options.
Friendship Arch in Chinatown
Chinatown is also home to the Verizon Center, which is where the Washington Capitals, D.C.'s professional hockey team, plays.  It's a great venue to see a game (even if my Stars did lose the night I was there...).
I <cough> may own a Caps t-shirt, seeing as how Brooks Laich is one of my favorite players, and Thomas, hero of Book 2 looks remarkably like him.  I'm not confirming I do own said shirt, but it is a possibility...
Finally, the letter C wouldn't be complete without mention of the cherry trees that bloom every spring, painting the city in shades of pink and white.  It's really something to see, even if it seems like every tourist within a 500 mile radius pours into the city during the festival.
One of my better shots, if I do say so myself :)
So there you have it.  Have you seen the cherry blossoms in D.C.? What other 'C' things would you recommend?

23 comments:

  1. Love cherry blossoms. They're beautiful. The Capitals...I'm a Canucks fan. *g*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canucks You did _not_ just say that on my blog! [g]

      Delete
  2. Love the cherry blossoms. The fact that were originally a gift from Japan notwithstanding. China town was another favorite haunt for me. I could find all my favorite eating stuffs there back before they were readily available in grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am heading down to DC in two weeks...hoping the cherry blossoms will still be out. And well, sorry to say I hail from Bruins land, so no Capitals cheering from me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if the cherry blossoms aren't peaking, spring in the city is still beautiful! Lots of public gardens around to see. :)

      Delete
  4. We have a huge cherry blossom festival here in Macon GA every year. I'd like to go to the DC one sometime and see how it compares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some amazing pictures of the cherry blossom trees! In full bloom, the shades of pink are breathtaking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really neat because there are several different shades of pink and white--it's by no means a uniform color.

      Delete
  6. I live outside of DC and love going into town to see the Cherry Blossoms. One year we took the girls to the Art Museum and decided to go out the back end and walk around. What did we encounter, the Chinese New Year parade! Love living near DC!
    Visiting from A-Z Challenge
    sewcarolinaknits

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Washington has a Chinatown. ...Though, come to think of it, I should have guessed. I love the story behind the Washington Sakura trees... Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not been but I would love to see those cherry blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh spring, there you are in the Cherry Blossoms, how I've missed you.

    Today I noticed the daffodils blooming in the back yard, and thought, yes, finally the color is returning. Life is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the flowers and colors of spring. Fortunately, I don't have the allergies to go along with it! :)

      Delete
  10. This is a great theme! I've only been to DC once, but if I read all your posts by the end of the month, I'll probably feel like I live there. Fun post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cherry Blossoms are turlly overwhelming- I was lucky enough to visit one year when they were in full bloom but it wasn't during the festival so you could still, you know, move!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)