Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for... Adams Morgan, Arlington, and the Armory

It's Day 1 of the A to Z blogging challenge!  This is my first year to participate, and I'm pretty excited (we'll see if I'm still this energetic when I hit X and Y, the two letters that are currently giving me fits...).  Anyway, my theme this year is Washington, D.C. I lived in Bethesda (a suburb to the northwest) for 6 years, and loved it. Since my books are set in D.C., I thought it would be nice to explore the city so readers who've never been can form a mental picture.

Ready?  Here we go!

First up is Adams Morgan, an area known for its night life.  This is a stretch of several blocks chock full of shops, bars, and restaurants, and come nightfall, it's always packed.  This is D.C.'s version of a melting pot, and it has a pretty interesting history.  The only downside to this neighborhood is that the closest Metro station is quite a ways away, so if you're going for a night out, be sure to wear comfortable shoes (trust me on this!).
Adams Morgan in the daylight
The next stop on our tour of A's is Arlington.  Not only is this a Virginia city just across the Potomac river, it's the site of Arlington National Cemetery.  Known for rolling green hills dotted with white tombstones, Arlington stands silent sentinel over the city, reminding everyone of the sacrifices made on behalf of others.
Arlington on Memorial Day
Finally, The Armory.  This is the home of D.C.'s National Guard, and it also serves as a venue for sports and other activities.  It's a big, hulking building, and it plays a part in Book 2. :)
D.C. Armory
So that's it for today.  Have you been to D.C. and seen these sights? Did I leave out an important 'A'?  Comment and let me know! :)

41 comments:

  1. Lara, you did good. The Aero-Space Museum is technically in Bethesda, but is part of the sprawling Smithsonian. I'll give it three thumbs up if I had three thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Hmm... I remember the Air and Space museum being right on the Mall--is there another one in Bethesda I'm forgetting? Either way, it's an impressive museum for sure!

      Delete
  2. I've been to DC but it was a very long time ago. I don't think I've been to any of those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll post something you've seen during the month! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never been to D.C. soooo I'm really excited about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely view of Arlington. I have to go there every time I'm in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful, peaceful place. I love going there.

      Delete
  5. Been to the area ages ago. I'm looking forward to your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first year with A to Z Challenger, too. Looking forward to visiting other blogs. Never been to the capital, thanks for your info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lara!

    Happy A Day! I'm looking forward to learning more about DC this month. I've been there twice but seen mainly just the museums. When we hit one I know I'll certainly comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly! Happy A day to you as well! Can't wait to read your thoughts on some of my posts :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Lara, this is my first year too and am loving the challenge so far. Looking forward to learning more about DC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to DC so this tour will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Washington DC is on my list to visit and I'm going to jot down Adams Morgan as a place to check out. It looks like fun! You live in a beautiful area of the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great city--I hope you come away with a lot of places to see on your trip. Wish I still lived there!

      Delete
  11. Great start of the challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never been, but it's definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a great idea for the A-Z! I've only visited Washington a couple of times and both times it was only for a day or so, so I didn't see much. Wish I'd known about Adams Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start making your list of things to see the next time you're in town :)

      Delete
  14. I've been to Arlington Memorial in Washington D.C. and it's one of the best sites I saw while I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing place--it really stays with you.

      Delete
  15. Nope, never been to Washington DC. Interesting post! Looking forward to reading more about about it, though!
    You'll do great with the Challenge. This is my second year, which means it was worth it the first time around!
    Thanks for popping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that people survive the challenge and come back for more! ;)

      Delete
  16. Wow, three A's! I've been to Arlington, but that's the only one on your list! Very cool post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlington is amazing! You'll just have to go back someday to check out the other places!

      Delete
  17. Very neat. And I promise to take your word on it. I have worn the wrong shoes for the wrong occasion once or twice and learned my lesson. :)

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
    A-to-Z April Blogging Challenge Co-host
    www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adams Morgan sounds like my kinda place... any jazz/blues lounges in that vicinity? Yes? Then I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're talking about visint Washington in the next year or two. I'll have to follow your posts this month to pick up any must-sees.

    Carol's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was on the mall for the fireworks on July 4th in 1999. Such fun and oh my, what a mass of folks doing the same. Still it was a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)