Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for... Roosevelt Island

I thought long and hard about the "I" attractions in D.C.  I didn't think you'd want to see the IRS building (it's your basic government building, nothing too special there), and I Street is just another street.  I finally remembered something kind of fun and unique to the area--Roosevelt Island!  Yes, I know it starts with an "R", but "Island" is a formal part of the name, so I think that should count :)

Theodore Roosevelt Island is a smallish, well, island on the Potomac River.  If you're driving north on the George Washington parkway, you'll pass it on your right.  You can pull off and walk across the small bridge, and once you get into the trees, you'll come upon a clearing that contains a large statue of Theodore Roosevelt.
Bridge to the Island

Statue of Roosevelt
The island is actually a national park with a nice trail, and although it's relatively small, it's a fun place to visit.  If you ever find yourself driving by, you should take a short detour and drop in--it's a great little nature sanctuary in a busy area.

12 comments:

  1. You forget about the International Spy Museum on F street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was debating on using that for my letter S...

      Delete
    2. For the S it's Smithsonian all the way.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Lara! It looks like a lovely little park. If I'm ever in the area, I'd definitely stop to check it out!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever way to use the letter I! Looks like a great place for a walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Whenever I'm ready for a trip to D.C. I'm getting my list of places to visit from your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Glad you're enjoying the posts! :)

      Delete
  5. It's a great spot to rest and take in the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That view from the bridge looks inviting! A walk at sunset must be really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)