Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for... The Mall and Metro

Welcome to week 3 of the A to Z blogging challenge!  We're kicking things off with a celebration of all things M!






First up is the Mall.  No, it's not a shopping center.  The Mall in D.C. is an open area park, extending from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol building.  Not only will you find many of the monuments in this area, but the Smithsonian museums line the grassy area by the Capitol building.

Map of the original plans

What's great about the Mall is how it's utilized by the city.  Every year, the 4th of July celebrations take place here, with fireworks being set off behind the Washington Monument.  The National Book Festival takes over in the fall, and many rallies and protests alike congregate on the Mall.  And let's not forget the Presidential Inauguration.  Overall, the Mall is really the heart of the city, and you shouldn't miss it.

Next up is the Metro.  D.C. has an extensive public transportation system, including a great subway system that gets you pretty much anywhere you need to go in D.C. and the surrounding cities.  Given the price of parking, and the difficulty in finding a space, my recommendation is to use Metro to explore the city.  

Metro rail map
The rail system is quite user-friendly, so don't be afraid to hop on.  It's all part of the D.C. experience!

16 comments:

  1. I love the Metro! It goes almost everywhere and when you add the buses to the metro route it does go everywhere. I think I still have tickets somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spent the day at the Mall on the Fourth of July many,many years ago. It was a great day. We sat on the Capitol steps and watched the fireworks go off behind the Washington Monument, it was spectacular. Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was apparently in the Mall and didn't even know it, back in 1998! Thanks, I learned something new about D.C. today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am your newest follower, from the A to Z challenge. Thank you for the interesting and useful tid-bits about D.C. I don't get there, often, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Finally some things I've seen!

    The Mall. I have: attended a million-person march, gone to many of the Smithsonians lining it and even had a pinic lunch on the Mall. All were incredibly memorable.

    The Metro: One of the cleanest subway systems I've ever travelled on- which is an impressive feat in a system transporting that many people.

    lovely post, Lara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, Beverly! I think one of the reasons the subway stays so clean is because food technically isn't allowed :)

      Delete
  6. It has been years since I have been to DC. I remember the metro -- very well laid out. Then again, compared to Boston's T, everything is better laid out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Given the near-constant construction in Boston, I would imagine anything is easier to navigate! :)

      Delete
  7. Well, at least I visited the Mall! And actually, the Washington Metro was the first I ever rode on/in after Montreal - I was so surprised and excited to see that you have aboveground trains!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M...marvelous post! DC has suddenly become tantalizing as a destination prospect...

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)