Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for... the J. Edgar Hoover FBI building

We're zipping through the alphabet on our tour of Washington, D.C.--can you believe we're already on the letter J?







In honor of the heroes of my books, today we're going to check out the J. Edgar Hoover FBI building.  This is a relatively unique-looking building in downtown D.C., and it's the national headquarters for the FBI.
FBI headquarters
Architecturally speaking, the building is kind of ugly.  It's absolutely huge, and one of the interesting features is that there are no windows on the ground floor--when you're walking next to it, all you see are solid walls interspersed with black grates.  Very utilitarian.
The first floor
I've never been inside the building, but I think they offer public tours. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get on the list, but if you're going to be in town, it's probably worth a shot.


14 comments:

  1. Cool looking building. I'm really enjoying your theme.
    Connie
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kinda surprises me that they're still using that man's name anywhere considering he's rather more infamous than famous these days.
    It's great to learn more about Washington! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true--the name was kind of grandfathered in, I suppose. :)

      Delete
  3. You didn't say the obvious...Jefferson Memorial or the JFK Center for the arts Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, Grasshopper... All in good time :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with Lexa, but maybe it's the infamous that draw the tourists -- I mean look at the 'reality' stars of the day.

    Love the tour, Lara, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true--seems like you get more fans for behaving badly these days!

      Delete
  5. I wonder how many secrets you can find inside that building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure that's a building I ever want to enter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I take your point, but I've decided when I go back for a visit I need to take the tour. :)

      Delete
  7. I've toured it twice- it's an awesome tour and very well worth doing :) Not sure if they'd still do it to the same level these days- last time I was there was pre- 9/11- but I came away from it much more enlightened as to the workings of the FBI. I have a long-dormant WIP with FBI characters and it was invaluable for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the tour is probably truncated since 9/11. I still want to go, though :)

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)