Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for... Farragut Square and Ford's Theater

Can you believe we've reached the end of the first week of the A to Z challenge?  I've had a lot of fun so far, and I hope you all have, too!  I must say though, I'm glad to have the day off tomorrow--I need time to write more posts!



Today's letter is F, so we'll start by exploring Farragut Square.  This is a major downtown spot, smack in the middle of a lot of commercial business office towers.  In book 2, the heroine, Claire, works in an office building right off of Farragut Square.  The area is served by 2 metro stations, and there is an underground shopping area and food court.  It's busy during the day due to the business traffic, but there's not much happening here at night.  I think the city has started to use the space for public activities, but when I lived in the area, there were a few bars but not much else.

What's interesting about Farragut Square is the statue of Admiral David Farragut in the middle of the green space.  Some of you may remember him from his famous quote, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" Now he watches over the neighborhood with an impassive bronze stare.
Admiral Farragut
Let's not forget Ford's Theater, site of the assassination of President Lincoln.  The theater is open for tours, and you can see President Lincoln's booth, roped off from the public:
The Presidential Box
This is still a working theater, and I was lucky enough to see a play with my parents when they were in town for a visit.
Ford's Theater
I hope you've enjoyed this first week exploring Washington, D.C.! There's a lot more to come, so be sure to stop by again!



10 comments:

  1. Ford's Theatre has always intrigued me, because I've heard that the Scottish play's name was uttered there several times. Do you know if it's true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. Given it's history, I wouldn't be surprised! :)

      Delete
  2. The presidential booth looks impressive! Would like to see that theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly small inside--pretty cool, actually!

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures you chose. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed the tour, the information on a city I've always liked (it's a pedestrian's dream) but don't know as well as I want. You're a born tour guide - no, make that an excellent companion on a stroll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the theater! I just don't get there as often as I'd like to...

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)