Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for... The Lincoln Memorial

Can you believe the second week of the A to Z challenge is drawing to a close? When I signed up, I had doubts about my ability to fill a month's worth of posts, but D.C. is such a great city, I'm actually having to pare down my remarks so as not to bore everyone! :)



No discussion of D.C. would be complete without mentioning one of the most loved and recognizable attractions the city has to offer: the Lincoln Memorial.


It's a truly beautiful building, and the outside is just the beginning.  Walk up the stairs so you can see the statue of Lincoln, and check out the walls, where his Gettysburg address and remarks from his second inauguration speech are engraved into the marble.


There's more to the memorial than just the statue and engravings--there is a Lincoln museum under the memorial as well, and it's well worth a visit.

This was always one of my favorite places to visit, and I recommend you see it both during the day and at night, when it's all lit up and glowing.  I like this site so much, I made it the setting of a pivotal scene in Deadly Contact :)

That's it for week two folks.  Thanks for all your kind words so far.  Be sure to come back on Monday, when we'll pick up with the letter M!

12 comments:

  1. I love the Lincoln Memorial! It's so classy looking, and he was such a great man. Wonderful pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about the Lincln Memorial is the view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are so right, the Lincoln Memorial is a must see and it has been a while for me, I must get back and have another look :) Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get to see the plaque on the steps? There is now a marker at the spot Martin Luther King, Jr. stood to give his "I Have a Dream" speech.

      Delete
  4. A special memorial, to be sure. Such a great man. Can't wait to see what M brings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a grand building... very impressive!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty awe-inspiring when you see it in person--pictures don't really do it justice! :)

      Delete
  6. I think what's greatest about this site, in my mind, is the cultural impact it's had in regards to the ideals of deomocracy. I've lost count of the number of movies and tv shows where the main characters, after being chewed up and spit out by the red tape systems that prevent change in legislature, went to have a heart-to-heart with Mr. Lincoln and were inspired to go back out and fight after having an epiphany in the prescence of his greatness. It seems to be the epitamy of the spirit of democracy and infuses those who visit it with that inspiration. At least, that's how I felt when visiting it as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of the most recognizable sites in the city :)

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)