Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for... Georgetown and the National Geographic Museum

It's Monday, which means we're on to the letter G in the A to Z blogging challenge.  I hope you're all caught up on your rest, because we have a lot of sites to cover this week!

No discussion of the G's in D.C. would be complete without mentioning Georgetown.  Not only is this a university, it's a neighborhood in the western part of the city that originally served as a port, due to it's location right on the Potomac.  It's got a lot of shops and restaurants, and has kind of a preppy feel to it, thanks in no small part to the university.  There's a lot of nightlife here, but it's not served by Metro trains, so I never spent much time in this area.
Georgetown Row Houses
The Old Stone House
For you horror movie buffs, Georgetown is home to the Exorcist staircase:

The infamous stairs
I'm sure you've all seen the famous yellow-bordered National Geographic magazine, and you may even be familiar with the National Geographic television channel.  Did you know there is a National Geographic museum?  It's true--and lucky for you, it's located in D.C., which means it's the next stop on our tour.

The museum isn't very big, but it's packed with a lot of cool exhibits.  I saw two specialty exhibits here (one on the Lost Gospel, and one on Castle sieges), and both were quite amazing.  The museum is tucked away a few blocks outside of downtown D.C., and it's well worth a visit.

NGS administration building, not the museum
Have you been to any of these places?


12 comments:

  1. All of them. But Georgetown just driving down the street is an adventure in its self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but now I want to go. Hmm, I wonder if we could plan a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I was in DC I went to the Smithsonian. That was cool. Come to think of it, that was the first time I was in DC, too!
    If I ever come back, the NGM is on my list!
    Happy A to Z-ing
    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could spend weeks in the Smithsonian museums and not see everything! :)

      Delete
  4. From time to time, I watch the National Geographic channel.
    I'd love to visit the Nat Geo museum!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea there was a national geographic museum! all of these posts are really making me want to travel to DC-- you're like a blogging advertisement for tourism ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know there was a National Geographic Museum and I got the magazine for over a year and watched the channel for longer than that. I would love to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek! Two more - I'd definitely love to visit these places!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)