Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for... The Old Executive Office Building

For our celebration of the letter O, we're going to take a look at an office building, which is a pretty common sight in D.C. However, this isn't your average office building...





The Old Executive Office Building sits right next door to the White House.  It is the ceremonial location of the offices of the Vice President, and at one time housed the offices of the Departments of State, War, and the Navy.

While some people think it's an eyesore, I've always liked this building.

Old Executive Office Building
See that tree in the lower right corner of the yard?  When I was in grad school, I spent a pleasant afternoon studying under that tree.  A friend and I parked ourselves with our books and quizzed each other for our upcoming test, and surprisingly, security never asked us to move. :)

10 comments:

  1. Actually, it is a beautiful in an architectural sense. so much detail in the plaster work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True--you can't really see it in the pictures, but it's lovely when you're up close.

      Delete
  2. That's a fun memory to share.

    So are you doing the whole A-Z about DC area landmarks and geography?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am :). My books are set in D.C., so I thought it would be fun to focus on the city for those readers who haven't been before.

      Delete
  3. Hi- dropping from A-Z. I think it's a great building. Nice architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a great building. Solid, but nice.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)