Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tools of the Trade

This past weekend, I bought a new keyboard.

Nothing was wrong with my laptop keyboard, but I did notice that if I typed for any length of time, my hands would start to ache.  Nothing major, but since I type a lot at work and then come home to type even more, it was clear this whole 'aching hands and wrists' thing was a potentially serious problem.

I'd seen those ergonomic keyboards, the ones that are supposed to keep your hands and wrists in a more 'natural' position as you type.  I'd even used one a time or two, and while the experience was initially odd, I did enjoy it.

So when I found myself at the electronics store this weekend, buying my mother a new computer, I decided to get a little something for me, too.  I purchased this beauty:

Note the gently sloping wave design--aesthetic and practical!
I've only been using it for 2 days, but wow!  What a difference!  Both nights, I've written for two hours straight, only stopping because it's the wee small hours of the morning and I have to work the next day.  My hands and wrists don't hurt, and my productivity in terms of words written has really jumped.

I don't think this sudden spurt of progress is totally due to the wonders of a magical keyboard, but I do think that having the right tools helps to unlock creativity, and allows us to reach our potential.  Have you had a similar experience?  What tools or tricks do you use to boost your writing?

8 comments:

  1. Having the right tools does make a difference. I'm glad to hear you like this. I've considered getting one because I sometimes get wrist pain. Using one for a few minutes at the store isn't really enough to get an idea of whether or not it will help so I've never invested in one. It would be an adjustment, it feels kind of weird. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit strange at first, but it didn't take long to adapt. I got a relatively inexpensive keyboard--there are some pretty fancy models out there, but I didn't want to spend money on something I wasn't sure would work for me. Let me know what you think if you wind up getting one!

      Delete
  2. I've only tried the ergonomic keyboards a couple of times but both times I found it so uncomfortable I swore I'd never get one.

    But then again, the first time I slept on my posturepedic pillow it was the most uncomfortable thing in the world and now I literally can't sleep without it, so go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it starts out being uncomfortable, I can understand why you wouldn't want to continue using it! :)

      Delete
  3. For decades I typed on a split keyboard and loved it. Hand stress, cramping and aches disappeared. Enjoy yours. There is a bit of a relearning curve, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great solution, nothing worse than trying to type with pain in your hands. How does it work for a laptop?

    My regret was trying Dragon - screwed with the curser and now it jumps all over the page while I'm writing. Can't figure out how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works pretty well with my laptop--I just plug it in and go. The only downside is that I can't keep the computer in my lap anymore, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

      I'm sorry Dragon messed things up so badly. Maybe you can re-boot your system?

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)