Monday, June 24, 2013

Books Go To The Movies - World War Z

I just finished reading World War Z by Max Brooks a few days ago.  I'm one of those people who likes to read the book before seeing the movie (strange, I know).  Incidentally, my Gentleman Friend is the exact opposite--he likes to go into the movie with no preconceived ideas about the characters or plot.  He claims he enjoys the movie more if he hasn't read the book yet.  I guess I can understand that, but still...


Anyway, back to the point of this post.  There is really no reason to compare the book and movie versions of World War Z, as about the only things they have in common are a title and zombies.

The book was an enjoyable spin on zombie mythology, and I liked the Studs Terkel-esque style.  I had wondered how they were going to take a multi-perspective, episodic narrative and adapt it for the screen, and it turns out they didn't really try. Some of the incidents described in the book are loosely adapted for the movie, but much is lost.

The movie is a decent zombie flick, but it doesn't really stand out for me.  There are a lot of loose ends that needed to be resolved, and the final solution felt a bit too contrived and easy.  Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but the book is so much better.

Has anyone else seen World War Z?  What did you think?  Did you read the book, and if so, which did you prefer?  And please tell me I'm not the only one out there who likes to read the book before seeing the movie adaptation!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't seen World War Z, but I can't say I'm a fan of Zombie stories or movies.

    I'm with you, Lara, if I can help it, I always read the book first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this today: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/wwz

    I have yet to read WWZ-- it's on my list though! I definitely have to read a book before seeing the movie-- but I try not to do it *right* before the movie, otherwise the book plot is too fresh in my head and I find I can't enjoy the film because I spend the entire time noticing all the "flaws".

    Holy! long sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love The Oatmeal--how funny we posted on the same day :)

      Delete
  3. I found the same thing viewing the movie. I always read the book first that may be why I'm disappointed by the movie. Film makers cannot do justice by comparison.

    Now if WWZ, the movie, had a different title...it would have been good. I remember back when the book was optioned for a movie. Max said there was no way they could do justice to the book only piece meal it. He nailed it. BUT he also said, "It will help draw readers to his book." He nailed it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right--I would have enjoyed the movie more if it had been a stand-alone and not connected (however loosely) to the book. Still, it sounds like the author has a good attitude about the adaptation. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm the same way. I have to read the book first. For the opposite reason of your friend. I don't want any preconceived notions about the characters I read about. I like to development them in my mind. I hate ready a book with a famous person running around in my head.

    I'm not a zombie fan, so I didn't read World War Z. Saw the movie last week and I loved it. Now I wish I had read the book. Is it worth reading, still?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think the book was great, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  5. I read the book a few years ago and I loved it so much that I was horrified when they said they were going to make it into a movie because I assumed they would absolutely ruin it.

    Everyone I know who has seen it, though, has said pretty much the same thing: it's decent, so long as you don't compare it to the book. That's hard for me to do so I'm kind-of thinking I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to go into the movie with no expectations--if you completely divorce the movie from the book, I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)