Thursday, October 11, 2012

What's it worth to you?

www.123rf.com
I stopped by the bookstore during my lunch break today, and walked out $40 poorer, but much happier.  As I was driving back to my office, I thought about the price of hardcover books, and how that compares to the other forms of entertainment I pay for (no, not that...  Get your mind out of the gutter!)

Take movies, for example.  A full price movie ticket is around $10 these days.  Throw in a drink and some popcorn, and you've shelled out about $20 per person to see the latest blockbuster.  That buys you 2 hours of entertainment in a dark, air-conditioned environment (nothing to sneeze at during a Texas summer).  For about the same price (or a few dollars more) you could purchase a new hardcover release, which will buy you several hours of entertainment, depending on how quickly you read.  As an added bonus, you can go back and re-read it again and again without having to pay.  There's something to be said for that.

Now, I appreciate books are expensive and there is a legitimate issue regarding the price of e-books and whatnot.  But when you think about how far your dollar goes, enjoyment-wise, I think books win every time.  Maybe that's just me.

And so I have a question for you, dear readers.  Do you buy hardcover releases?  My finances can't support my book habit, so I only have a few authors on my hardcover 'ohgoditsanewbookImusthaveitNOW!' list, which helps keep things manageable.  How many hardcovers (or new e-book releases) do you buy in a given month?  Do you prefer paperbacks (or when the e-book price drops), or are you willing to pay a little extra to get the book right away?

Inquiring minds want to know...  

10 comments:

  1. I usually buy one hardcover whenever I buy books. Most of the time it's because I really want to read the book and I can't find any paperback at all, so yes, I am willing to pay extra just to get the book right away.

    If a book is part of a series and I have the first one as an e-book, I will buy the rest of them as e-books too. I can't stand having one book of a series on the shelf only while the rest are on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get this--I like my books to look the same on my shelf, so I'll stick with one format if I'm accumulating books in a series. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

      Delete
  2. I rarely buy hard cover. That said, I do have all of Harry Potter in hardback that I got for my birthday this year. I've read the books twice, though not my hardcovers yet.

    I can't tell you the last time I bought a real hold-in-my-hands book though. Mostly I buy e-books and I tend to go in spurts. I'll buy/read 5 to 10 books in a short amount of time. SO I guess average is probably 2 a month and depending on the book, I rarely am willing to pay more than $4.99 for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in the minority--I like my Kindle, but I still primarily buy paperback or hardcover books. Very rarely do I buy e-books, I think because it's too easy for me to forget what I have. I can always see the covers of my physical books in my mind, and since I walk by them all the time, it motivates me to read them!

      Delete
  3. I only buy Diana Gabaldon's books in hardback. I find that the ease of holding ebooks to read is far more important than the beauty of a well-made paper book.

    Of course, I have all her books on my Kindle, too. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana is definitely on my auto-buy list, whatever the format :)

      Delete
  4. Yea, I definitely can't afford most hardcovers. For much anticipated stuff, they do seem to discount the books - I got Rowling's latest off Amazon for only 16$. Of course, I bought a Neil Gaiman at the same time, so I could get 25$ free shipping...
    I'd always buy Diana's, no matter the cost. And Tolkien. Anything by Tolkien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, due to all the discounts offered, I rarely pay full sticker price on a hardcover. Still, it's not a small expense... I have to really want the book to buy it in hardcover--a lot of times, I'll wait a few months for the paperback release.

      Delete
  5. I rarely buy hardcovers at full price; I wait until they're discounted 30-40%. Sometimes I find good ones for under $10--ecstasy! And I agree...I'd rather pay $25 for a favorite author's hardcover than the same for 2hrs at the movie, because I can then share said book w/friends and family that cannot afford to buy books (student daughter/fixed-income mother). It's a give-give opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're nice! I don't loan out my hardcovers--they're too special ;)

      Delete

Got something to say? Share with me! :)